This permanent role is central to our Maintenance Team. The team's goal is to minimise downtime and deliver cost efficiencies by providing proactive high-level in-house support for all our maintenance requirements.
Our fleet has four diesel powered vessels, buses, tractors, and commercial vehicles. This role is charged with ensuring their safe and operational condition, and compliance with Maritime Safety Authority of New Zealand requirements.
We are a multi-faceted business and additional general maintenance of fixtures and equipment at our operations base, including our Café, will at times be required.
- Diagnosing and resolving mechanical faults across a variety of systems and equipment.
- Providing mechanical support in the areas of preventative maintenance, installations, improvements, breakdowns, repairs, and conversions.
- Troubleshooting and correcting mechanical issues to minimize downtime and maintain optimal operational efficiency.
- Conducting regular inspections, manage, and delivering ongoing maintenance tasks to ensure equipment reliability and longevity.
- Collaborating with the Maintenance Manager, Owners, and fellow team members to develop innovative solutions as required.
Please note, we are a 7 day operation and this role may include some weekend working. Also, sometimes the nature of this role requires additional work outside of standard operating hours and flexibility and willingness in this regard is essential.
Skills or Qualifications Required
Seeking an experienced tradesman in one or more of the following trades - Automotive mechanic, Diesel fitter/mechanic or Marine engineer/fitter.
Applicants must have solid experience of, and be well versed in, some, or all, of the above trades.
Applicants will need to reside in or be willing to relocate to Kaikōura and have a full NZ driver’s licence.
Ideally applicants will:
- Have a proven track record, along with a commitment to carry out work at a consistently high standard, displaying a high level of detail and accurate record keeping.
- Be able to multitask in an environment with changeable priorities and maintain workflow efficiency.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to work well under pressure.
- Be self-motivated and demonstrate a strong work ethic and ability to work independently.
- Be team orientated and flexible with excellent communication skills and a positive attitude.
- Have a good level of health, fitness and stamina for this physically demanding job.
It would also be an advantage to have:
- Experience driving heavy machinery and tractors.
- Have an understanding of and experience with Health & Safety requirements, systems and procedures.
- Ideally have some computer literacy; experience with Excel is useful.
- Welding and light fabrication skill/experience
- Electrical experience with 12/24v DC systems
Applicants must be willing to be subject to our zero tolerance Drug & Alcohol Policy and be able to legally work in NZ.
- Ongoing training and support to enhance your skills and knowledge.
- There is opportunity to grow in this role with further development and progression.
- Encounter Kaikoura offers a supportive working environment, with great benefits and an interest in you and your job satisfaction.